Sunday, September 02, 2007

The First Date

Today, as someone who doesn't have a daughter, I experienced a facsimile of what it must be like for a father to watch his precious girl go out on her first date: I let someone borrow my new vehicle for an extended road trip.

My brother calls this morning, inviting me to tag along with he and the nephew to Lufkin to see the zoo. I politely declined, opting instead to stay home and vegetate. After the first week of school, I need some serious down time to rejuvenate.

He then asks if he can borrow my new Sorento for the trip. I hesitated before I said yes, knowing the various reasons he would want to take it instead of his old truck, namely gas mileage and safety. That and it is new.

An hour or so later, we're swapping keys and I'm watching my baby go down the road with another at the wheel. I'll be waiting patiently at the door, with a shotgun, for her return. If there is so much as a scratch...

4 comments:

Cas said...

There is one major difference. Your car won't come home pregnant.

psycho_aide said...

right?

Crazy One said...

If your car spits out another one in 9 months I got first dibs.......lol

Master of My Own Small Universe said...

Your luck, it'll look like the father...