Wednesday, February 22, 2006

"Those who do not understand the past...

... are doomed to repeat its failures."

That's a quote every history teacher in the world loves, and hopefully, takes to heart. But somehow we manage to continually repeat the same mistakes over and over. Why? Because we don't understand the past because, for the most part, we could care less about history.

I mean education is about the three Rs right? No where in there do I see history. So history tends to be the red-headed step-child of education, relegated to standing in the corner watching the others feast.

And our society goes right along making the same mistakes, like assuming that just because it is the will of the majority, that it is the right thing to do. Oh my, how history is rife with situations where that was proven false time and time again.

Is it apathy or ignorance that leads us down this slippery descent into hell? I don't know and I don't care...

1 comment:

Cas said...

Ignorance or apathy? I don't know and I don't care.
That is hilarious, Maynard. You need a new post.