Thursday, November 23, 2006

The Fall of the Roman Empire

I posted the exact same post below to the forum section of an online community of which I have been a member for over five years. I don't know what type of response I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting to be attacked. I was called naive, stupid, and a racist. The FD was accused of using "strong-arm tactics" to "guilt" people into donating.

Words fail me.

Then I realized that the problem lies in the way I perceive the world with the way these people perceive the world. I don't know if it is a generational, regional, idealogical, or socio-economic issue.

Or maybe it's just me. A good friend is constantly telling me that I'm the world's last true Boy Scout. I prefer to think of myself as the heir to Cincinnatus, willing to abandon my fields, throw on my cloak, and go off to fight just because Rome needs me. I'm not trying to be a hero, just doing my civic duty.

Many historians point to a decline in the average Roman's views on civic duty as one of the reasons for the fall of the Empire.

What does that say about where we're headed...

No comments: