Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Joy of Teaching, Reloaded

The last week has been that wonderful time of year that every teacher enjoys: the last week of a grading period. At my school, this would be the end of a six-weeks grading period. It absolutely mystifies me that students that could care less for five weeks about their grades are all-of-a-sudden very, very interested.

More amazing is that it is up to me to pass them. In their minds, it's not their responsibility whether they pass or fail, it's mine. So it comes as a major shock to them when they realize the truth.

Every year I start by telling my students to not expect me to bail them out when they've fracked off for five weeks, that there is no extra credit, and that I will not let them turn in all that work that they never did just so they can pass. I sometimes feel like I'm the only teacher that stands by their policy of refusing to accept late work.

It was so bad that I actually had a student tell me, "No wonder everyone hates you!!"

Wow, that's the problem right there. They're under the mistaken belief that I got into this profession to make friends....

2 comments:

Liberated Momma said...

Too bad every teacher doesn't stand by policies like yourself. That is what is wrong with out children. Wishy washy teachers and wishy washy parents that expect their child to be 'given' everything and spoon feed.

Well if the parents would grow a set and make their kids be responsible for their actions this world would be a better place.

Learning is not only between 8 and 3, parents need to be more involved and help their kids out. Learning is more of the parents responsiblity that the teachers. Parents that do not get involved in theirs childs education make me sad. The only one that suffers is their child.

There is only so much a teacher can do when the parents do no support their efforts.

Cas said...

You ARE the only teacher that does that. That's why you are so good at it. And why you make a difference.

You're probably the first taste of the real world these kids get.