Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Realities of Not Doing Your Homework

Not me, the teen-age son.

First major bump in the road comes when I'm checking his grades and see that he has a single-digit average in Speech. How in the hell do you get a grade like that in Speech, for Pete's sake? I do some checking and he didn't turn in a major assignment for a grade. I ask him about it and he tells me the teacher won't accept it late. Tough... do it anyway and give it to her. If she doesn't accept it, at least you did it.

Talk to the teacher and she says she will accept it. Ask him later and he claims she just handed it back to him. Hmmmm....

Does he really think that I, a teacher, don't talk to the other teachers? If he did, he got a rude awakening when I had dinner with three fellow teachers at a local restaurant later on in the evening...

I did learn that when a certain teacher says she's bringin Millie with her, be prepared to duck.

2 comments:

Simply Jen said...

I remember times like those. I sure regretted those decisions when I was a junior and senior taking freshman and sophomore classes. He should really start doing his work or he will regret it later.

Liberated Momma said...

Ah... I remember those times, my parent to worked for the same school district I attended.. so I got away with NOTHING!

I could tell him, do your work, you will reap the rewards later, what you do now effects you later in life, that half ass only gets you halfway, but like every other teenager. He will hear, wah wah wah wha qua wah wah wah...

Too bad at that age they think they know everything and at our ages, we are smart enough to realize we should have listened to our parents but didn't and only want to make life easier on our children.

The more difficult the journey the more rich the reward at the end.