Saturday, June 17, 2006

Ah, the Joy of Computers

Well, I finally managed to get my truck fixed after much cursing and many trips back to the parts store. Then my computer decides to die, or at least slip into a coma. All day Friday it would either lock up or spontaneously re-boot. I worked on it all day Friday and into Friday evening, trying various tactics to get it back on its feet. I went to bed Friday with it running a memory test to rule out a problem with the motherboard, processor, or memory.

Woke up this morning with it having passed the memory test with flying colors. OK, so that's not the problem. Stripped it down to the bare essentials and it worked fine. Started adding peripherals and it died. Hmmmm... finally localize the problem and start to make some headway when.... the power goes out. And stays out.

Finally the power comes back on around 18:00. More work on the computer sorting out minor errata till I finally got it all up and running. It's now after midnight, but at least I'm on the 'Net, posting to this blog.

No comments: