Tuesday, June 20, 2006

There are Computers and there are...

Friends of mine came over last night with a PC game for my son. Whilst setting everything up, the wife commented on how fast my computer was compared to theirs. I asked how old their PC was, with the answer being about a year or so. Now my computer is over four years old, so it being faster than a much newer computer is something to brag about. So I asked what brand their PC was. I won't mention it hear for fear of corporate lawyers descending en masse, but it was one of the major players. Suddenly everything made sense.

Did I mention that I built my own computer, purchasing the various parts and assembling it? Hence the reason I work on it myself... there's no computer shop that knows as much about this machine as I do.

The problem with the big boys is that they put so much crap on the PC coming out of the factory that it slows it all down. In fact, someone actually came up with a program called "D*** De-Crapifier" for one brand just to get all of the un-needed stuff off. And, on top of that, some of the hardware decisions they make completely confound me. I mean, they'll take a really fast CPU and hamstring it with a slow video card or with minimal memory.

They do this knowing that the average un-informed consumer won't know the difference. They'll just see 3.4 Gigahertz, yada, yada... and be impressed. They don't know that processor speed is just one piece of the puzzle, that you have to put it all together.

1 comment:

psycho_aide said...

Oh bite me Leroy at least my internet is faster!!!!!!!!!!!!